Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
ASUS Computer International Direct ASUS BW-16D1X-U Powerful Blu-ray Drive with 16x Writing Speed and USB 3.0 for Both Mac/PC Optical Drive BW-16D1X-U by Asus $99.99 $ 99 99 $119.99 Prime. External CD / DVD / Blu-Ray Drives. Power Search. Apple USB SuperDrive for Apple MacBook Air/ Pro/Mac Mini (MD564ZM/A). Most of the prices are best you'll. USB 2.0 Cable. Blu-ray Drive Install Disc for Windows. Blu-ray Drive Install Disc for Windows, Power DVD, Power 2 Go, Power Producer, Media Espresso. The LG BP50NB40 external optical drive opens and closes and spins normally when a disc optical disc is put into but the drive doesn't appear in the finder on my MAC, please help.
I'm looking for an External USB Blu-ray drive to use with my 2014 MBP. I'll be creating MKV files (using MakeMkv) from my personal Blu-ray collection and perhaps ripping isolated audio tracks using DVD Audio Extractor. When you get piles of movies that want to create to Blu-ray disc for preservation, you should read the reviews of best 8 Blu-ray burning tools (software and hardware) for internal and external burning on Windows and Mac firstly.
- Best Overall: LG GH24NSC0B Super Multi Drive at Amazon, “A burner that offers speed, power, and reliable performance.”
- Runner-Up, Best Overall:Asus DRW-24B1ST at Amazon, “It’s quick, works with all formats and burns quietly.”
- Best Budget: LG GH24NSC0B at Amazon, “Runs super softly with its Silent Play technology…you’ll be surprised it’s even running.”
- Best Splurge:LG WH16NS40 at Amazon, “Capable of Blu-ray disc rewriting, which mandates the more expensive price tag.”
- Best Write Speed:Samsung SH-224FB/BSBE at Amazon, “A superb combination of blazing write speeds, excellent reviews, and a wallet-friendly price.”
- Best for Silence:Plextor PX-891SAF at Amazon, “An improved chassis design helps regulate the amount of air flow to reduce the noise level.”
- Best Blu-Ray:Asus Black BC-12B1ST at Amazon, “Fast, quiet and energy-friendly performance makes for a stellar burner that offers more than meets the eye.”
- Best Included Software:Dell DW316 External USB Slim DVD R/W at Amazon, “A plug-and-play solution that you can use with a USB port.”
Our Top Picks
Best Overall: LG GH24NSC0B Super Multi Drive
If you want a burner that offers speed, power and reliable performance, the LG GH24NSC0B Super Multi Drive should be at the top of your list. The budget-friendly price paired with a 24x DVD-R write speed makes the LG the first burner you should consider. The 0.5MB buffer isn’t as high as 2MB options that cost a little bit more, but the inclusion of M-Disc supports the burning of DVDs that are rated for heavy use.
Runner-Up, Best Overall: Asus DRW-24B1ST
The Asus DRW-24B1ST is an exceptionally good SATA DVD burner that offers wide compatibility at a low price. The full spread of read and write options is here, including DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, CD-Rs and CD-RWs. With 16x DVD ROM burning and 24x for all other formats, the Asus performs very well, completing even the most sizeable project at 4.7GB in a timely fashion.
As an extra bonus, it offers E-Green Engine technology, which aids in automatically closing drive applications when not in use to conserve energy. Overall, the Asus makes for a fantastic choice as a DVD burner, it’s quick, works with all formats and burns quickly and quietly.
Best Budget: LG GH24NSC0B
At under $20, this SATA-connected disc drive barely makes the lowest price on the list, but it’s value is in the details. It writes and plays a variety of formats, including DVD+R, RW DVD-R and RW DVD-RAM. It employs an M-DISC technology that etches data with a rock-like surface, rather than dye to ensure a more stable imprint of whatever information you’re copying. It writes at speeds up to 24x and is compatible with Windows 10. It also runs super softly with its Silent Play technology, so even with all those speeds and capabilities, you’ll be surprised it’s even running.
Best Splurge: LG WH16NS40
The LG WH16NS40 separates itself from the pack with pricing that almost doubles the average cost of DVD burners, but does so with plenty of reasoning. The inclusion of 4MB of buffer memory handily allows the LG to store additional amounts of data before writing it to the disc, which helps support a quicker write speed. As a bonus, the LG is capable of Blu-ray disc rewriting, which is what mandates the more expensive price tag. The burner has 16x Blu-Ray disc rewrite speed and 16x for DVD ROM.
Best Write Speed: Samsung SH-224FB/BSBE
Samsung’s SH-224FB/BSBE is a superb combination of blazing write speeds, excellent reviews and a wallet-friendly price. The drive reads all the usual suspects, including dual-layer DVD-ROMs and DVD-Rs, making it highly flexible for every burning scenario. Additionally, Samsung included M-disc capability which offers burned DVDs a super long shelf life.
The 0.75MB buffer pairs nicely with the 24x DVD DVD+R write speed and 8x DVD+RW write speeds, which makes the Samsung one of the fastest burning SATA drives. With admirable performance and a wallet-friendly price tag, you can’t go wrong with this burner.
Best for Silence: Plextor PX-891SAF
If silence is a virtue, then the Plextor PX-891SAF internal SATA DVD burner is a top choice for every computer owner. With fast write speeds for both DVD and CDs, the capability to write to a dual-layer DVD is included. The overall silent burning might be a slight tradeoff for slower buffer memory at just 0.5MB and 160ms DVD access time, but it gets the job done at 24x DVD recording.
The full range of formats is included with DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-RAM, CD-RW and CD-R. The silent DVD burning is aided by an improved chassis design, which helps regulate the amount of air flow to reduce the noise level. The Plextor also supports M-disc branding, which offers a long shelf life for whatever you're burning.
Best Blu-Ray: Asus Black BC-12B1ST
Burning Blu-rays never quite captured the public attention that the global rise of included internal SATA DVD burners did, but there’s still an audience looking for the very best in picture quality. The Asus Black BC-12B1ST internal Blu-Ray drive is a moderately priced option that offers a 12x Blu-ray reading speed, plus support for multiple Blu-ray platforms. The integrated e-green technology saves over 50 percent of power consumption against a standard DVD burner.
As a bonus, buyers just looking for a high-quality 24x DVD burner can take advantage of 1080p HD upscaling on their traditional DVD burns if possible. Unfortunately, software is not included and must be purchased separately, but the fast, quiet and energy-friendly performance makes for a stellar Blu-ray/DVD burner that offers more than meets the eye.
Best Included Software: Dell DW316 External USB Slim DVD R/W
While most burners need a separate software to burn or play CDs and DVDs, this Dell device is a plug and play solution that you can use with a USB port. It comes preloaded with CyberLink Media Suite, making it a perfect accessory for both Mac and PC laptops that don’t have an internal optical drive.
The DW316 has read and write speeds of 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD) and 24x (CD) / 8x (DVD±R) / 6x (DVD±R DL), respectively, and a buffer size of .75MB. At just 5.41 x 5.67 x .55 inches and weighing .55 pounds, it’s easy to toss in your bag, so you can play and burn discs on-the-go.
You’re looking for an external Blu Ray drive, but you’re not sure what features you need and how much to spend. If you just want to play Blu Ray movies from your PC or Mac then you just need a Blu Ray player, but with prices coming down, you should really consider an external Blu Ray drive that you can also write to. They’re great for a lot of purposes including storing large amounts of data reliably and recording your favorite blu ray movies, videos, and music.
This article is about external Blu Ray drive writers which can not only play movies, but can also store data and allow you to “burn” your own Blu Ray movies. Their prices have come down to the point that even if you’re considering blu ray players and don’t think you will need the capability, Blu Ray writers give you the flexibility to burn your own HD-quality movies and videos and store huge amounts of data on a fairly non-volatile medium.
So what should you look for in an external BluRay drive writer? With Blu Ray writing, it’s all about speed and storage capacity. For speed you should consider a drive’s recording speed, data transfer speed, and buffer memory. For storage, look for BDXL support which allows you write to new large-capacity discs.
If you will often record more than one Blu Ray movie in a session, you’re going to want to spend the extra money to get the fastest writer you can afford. As with all technology, the landscape changes rapidly, but as of this writing 16X writers are readily available. The prices on these are still over the top, so look for a drive 6X or faster to keep the price in line.
Data Transfer Speed
Data Transfer Speed is very important for an external Blu Ray drive. When recording an HD movie or storing data, the data must transfer from your PC or Mac to the Blu Ray writer by way of USB. The newest and fastest iteration of USB is USB 3.0. It transfers data at up to 10X USB 2.0 and can therefore make a significant difference in recording speeds.
Buffer memory assists with the transfer of data by providing data to the read and write process in an even, consistent, and protected wa
BDXL format discs support 100GB and 128GB write-once discs and 100GB rewritable discs. A drive that supports this format will give you the most data storage equivalent to 27 DVDs and 5 single-layer Blu Ray discs.
It may not be a big consideration for you, but external drives have gotten smaller, thinner, and lighter making them more portable and easier to work with than ever before. It can be difficult to add one more external device to your already overtaxed workspace and you don’t want to have to carry a brick when you’re traveling, so we think the smaller and thinner, the better.
We took a look at online shopping reviews, manufacturers’ website reviews, and electronics forums to narrow our list to seven of the top rated, most popular Blu Ray writers available.
See if one of these great performers is the perfect one for your needs!
#6 – LG Electronics BE14NU40 14X Super-Multi Blu-ray External Rewriter
The LG Electronics BE14NU40 14X USB 3.0 Super-Multi Blu-ray External Rewriter is a fast, very popular external Blu ray drive that supports writing to BDXL discs, sports up to 14X write speeds, has a large 4GB buffer, and uses speedy USB 3.0 data transfer rates. In other words, this external Blu ray drive was built from the ground up for speed. Here are its main features.
- Ultra-fast BD writing speed at 14X saves time and maintains quality
- Large 4 MB buffer
- BDXL support writes up to 128GB of data on single quad-layer BDXL disc
- SUPERSPEED USB 3.0 produces 5 Gbps data transfer rates and supports simultaneous data send and receive
- Superior data protection using M-DISC technology which outlasts DVDs currently available
- Silent Play technology optimizes noise reduction by automatically controlling disc read speed
- Jamless Play technology avoids damaged or bad data sections of discs to automatically prevent stop video playback
- Embedded under-run prevention function
- Included Power BD-DVD 3D Software Bundle brings 3D life to all your 3D Blu ray movies using realtime 2D to 3D conversion
- Multi Blue Compatibility LG Super Multi Blue optical drives have Multi Blue compatibility and can read and write four types of disc formats including 16X DVD+R and DVD-R, RW DVD+R, RW DVD-RAM, and Blu-ray in one convenient package
Dimensions of this Blu ray disc player and writer are 6.42W x 1.97H x 10.24D inches (163W x 50H x 260D mm) and it weighs 3.3 lbs
- CyberLink Power2Go
- CyberLink PowerDVD
- CyberLink PowerBackup
- CyberLink PowerProducer
- Easy plug-n-play install and operation
- Very fast and reliable
- Quiet operation
- Power switch
- Open/Close button under the tray
- Some complaints on Windows 8.1 systems
#5 – ASUS External 12X Blu-ray Burner
With an ultra fast 12X Blu-ray writing speed, a beautiful diamond-shaped design, USB 3.0 data transfer performance, and ASUS’ exclusive Magic Cinema technology, the ASUS External 12X Blu-ray Burner has all the bells and whistles. Here are its primary features.
- 12X Blu-ray writing speed and high-quality burning from OTS technology
- Flexible and beautiful diamond-shaped, space-saving design provides for either horizontal or vertical placement on a detachable stand
- USB 3.0 data transfer speeds
- 4 MB buffer provides smooth playback and glitch-free recording
- Magic Cinema technology provides 3D Blu-ray entertainment, 2D to 3D conversion and DVD upscaling
- Built-in Dolby Digital EX and DTH-HD (5.1 channels) provides crystal clear blu ray audio with lossless pass-through
- Cyberlink Power2Go 7
- Cyberlink PowerDVD 10 with Magic Cinema
- Cyberlink PowerBackup 2.5
- Cyberlink InstantBurn 5
- Very fast
- Very well constructed and reliable
- Great compatibility with disc brands and formats
- Elegant good looks
- Noisy at high speeds
- Large size
- Power switch poorly located
- Short USB cable
#4 – Pawtec Slim External Aluminum Slot-Loading BDXL Blu-ray Writer
Pawtec claims that their Pawtec Slim External Aluminum Slot-Loading BDXL Blu-ray Writer is the thinnest and lightest external optical drive of all bluray burners. This bluray player and burner features a sleek and modern thin design that looks great in its unique black finish. It also has USB 3.0 data transfer speeds and it’s not just aluminum colored; it is actually constructed from aluminum. It not only burns Blu-rays, it also is a DVD burner and a CD burner. Here’s what you need to know.
- 6X Blu-ray slot-loading Blu-ray drive and burner is one of the slimmest and lightest on the market and features beautiful aluminum body
- BDXL capable
- Capable of burning CDs (24X), DVDs (8X), and Blu-rays (6X) this model is not just a Blu-ray burner, it can also compete with DVD recorders
- Fastest USB3.0 data transfer rates
- Simple plug-n-play operation with either Mac or PC; can be operated with or without included USB power cable
Weighs less than 10 oz and is only 0.5 inches thick
- Easy to use
- Solid construction and materials
- Great value
- Slot loading is very convenient
- Ejection button doesn’t work for some
#3 – Archgon MD-3102G-U3-K Slot-loading Aluminum External Blu-ray Burner
Archgon has built their Archgon MD-3102G-U3-K Slot-Loading Aluminum External Blu-ray Burner around the reliable and popular Panasonic UJ-265 drive. It features BDXL support, Cyberlink software, USB-powered, a rigid aluminum body, and USB 3.0 data transfer speeds. Here’s what you need to know.
- 6X slot-loading Blue ray drive and burner built-on Panasonic UJ-265 technology and featuring premium aluminum construction
- Ultra-fast USB 3.0 data transfer speeds
- Power-saving technology means USB-powered
- Plug-n-play operation on Mac or PC
- Bundled with Cyberlink Media Suite OEM version
Dimensions are 5.9 x 5.4 x 0.7 inches (150 x 138 x 18 mm) and it is lightweight at only 13.22 oz
- Very reliable operation
- Sturdy construction
- Beautiful black aluminum body
- Only needs one USB 3.0 port
#2 – Pioneer BDR-XD05 6X Slim External Blu-ray Writer
Pioneer claims that their Pioneer 6X Slim Portable External Blu-ray Writer is one of the world’s smallest and lightest external Blu ray drives and writers. Despite the small stature of this optical drive, it comes packed with features like BDXL support, USB 3.0 data transfer rates, and a complete CyberLink software suite. Not the fastest Blu ray burner in our list, this model is very popular for its compact size, reliability, and reasonable performance. Here are its main features.
- One of the world’s smallest and lightest BD/DVD/CD portable burners supporting BDXL
- USB 3.0 data transfer speeds
- USB-powered, it needs no AC adapter
- Pioneer Auto Quiet mode uses high speeds for data transfer and lower speeds for music or movie playback
- CyberLink Media Suite 10
- PowerDVD 10
- PowerDirector 10
- Power2GO 7
- PowerDVD 10
Measures only 5.2W x 0.55H x 5.2D inches and weighs only 8.46 oz
- Plug-n-play installation and operation
- Fast burning
- Compact and lightweight size
- Some reports of loud operation
- AC power adapter not included
- Clamshell opening
#1 – Pioneer Electronics USA 6X BDR-XU03 Slim External Blu-Ray Writer
Pioneer’s next generation of Blu-ray burner, the Pioneer Electronics USA BDR-XU03 Slim External Blu-ray Writer uses a slot-loading mechanism for easier disc insertion and removal, a magnesium drive body for light weight and durability, and supports BDXL burning for maximum storage capacity. It’s also a very compact and lightweight portable Blu ray player. Here’s what you need to know.
- 6X next generation ultra-thin, smooth slot-loading, magnesium construction Blu-ray burner
- 4 MB buffer provides for smoother data transfer and glitch-free playback
- BDXL support
- Professional look and feel
- Fast USB 3.0 data transfer rates
- Saves precious desktop space by supporting vertical or horizontal placement
- PowerRead feature provides smoother movie playback even when the disc has fingerprints or minor surface scratches
- Auto Quiet mode automatically adjusts disc rotation speed to reduce noise during movies or music playback
- PureRead technology automatically adjusts drive parameters to minimize glitch music playback
The BDR-XU03 measures a compact 5.2W x 0.47H x 5.2D inches and weighs in at a lightweight 0.54 lbs
- Quiet operation
- Quality construction and materials
- Beautiful design
- No LED indicators
- No eject button
- USB cable very short
External Blu Ray Drive Comparison Chart
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these Blu-ray writers? Which external Blu-ray burner are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Mac Blu Ray Drive
As always, thanks for reading our BestLaptopCentral.com post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best external Blu ray drive for your needs!