In this video, I'll show you how to safely move your Photos library to an external hard disk and free up an amazing amount of space in the process. The Best External Hard Drives for Mac. The LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 2 is a powerful external hard drive system capable of holding up to 40TB of data individually, and more than a petabyte when.
It actually isn't the exact same steps as with iPhoto that you had listed. Here is what I had to do:
Make sure the drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Best External Hard Drive For Mac
- Quit Photos
- Copy the Photos Library from your Pictures Folder to the External Disk.
- Hold down the option (or alt) key while launching Photos. From the resulting menu select 'Other Library' and navigate to the new location.
- This message pops up:
- Click on delete incomplete items.
- In the Photos app, go to Preferences and under General, click Use as System Photo Library.
- Then go to System Preferences > iCloud > Photos > Options, Select iCloud Photo Library to turn that back on.
- Test the library and when you're sure all is well, trash the one on your internal HD to free up space.
Top External Hard Drives For Mac
Right now, we think the overall best external hard drive for Mac and PC is the Western Digital My Passport 4TB. It offers the best balance of speed, reliability, portability and price. It offers the best balance of speed, reliability, portability and price. Guys, what is the nest way to store my photos on my iMac and macbook air using lightroom. Right now I store the photos on the iMac hard drive but then I transfer them to a external hard drive when I travel so that I can access them on the macbook.